Cavendish Advocacy is retained to provide public affairs support for Stonewater, a housing association with 33,000 units across England.
Initially tasked with providing stakeholder engagement backing at a local level to support development sites, the brief developed to become a national public affairs programme, focused on raising Stonewater’s profile with political stakeholders in Westminster and influencing the direction of Government policy.
Since working with Cavendish Advocacy, Stonewater has seen a significant increase in their name recognition in the political sphere. The political engagement strategy devised by BECG has led to Stonewater being invited to meet with several Government ministers and civil servants about the direction of policy affecting the housing sector ahead of policy announcements. We are now working with them to lead the development of policy on decarbonisation, enabling them to become a thought leader in the area.
- Stonewater is the leading voice in the decarbonisation agenda in the social housing sector, recently briefing the policy team running the government’s Social Housing Decarbonisation Fund on the best pathways and the need for long-term funding.
- Stonewater has secured meetings with a number of MP, including Select Committee Members, to raise awareness of the issue.
- We have arranged two meetings with Government Ministers, including securing an endorsement from the Housing Minister on Stonewater’s work to decarbonise social housing.
- The report received acclaim from a number of industry figures and was included in the Must Reads for 2020 list by ThinkHouse, an online library of UK housing reports curated by a panel of industry experts.
- In November 2020, the Government announced £122m for green heat networks in 2021/22 and that it will install 600,000 heat pumps by 2028 – both key recommendations of the report.
- The report also directly influenced the recommendations of the Labour Party’s Green Industrial Revolution document in November 2020, calling for further long-term funding for decarbonisation.